Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Pace of Grace and other things

So I am reading this book called a Pace of Grace by Linda Kavelin Popov. I am not sure if any of you have heard of her, but she and her husband co-founded the Virtues Project which is used in many montessori and non-montessori schools throughout the world. I am proud to say that she is from Victoria and acutally still lives there as far as I know. (Yay for local authors who make it big!) Anyways, this book that she wrote is about the virtues of a sustainable life. She was inspired to write it after she became very ill with post-polio afflictions as well as being a workaholic. I have just finished chapter two and it talks alot about the need to purify one's body by drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day and making sure that you are eating water based foods like fruit along with the rest of your daily food intake, immersing your body in water, listening to your body and taking time to do things that you truly enjoy each day. She also talks about journaling for ten minutes every day to talk about how this "self-care" is working. So this is going to be my ten minute journalling time. I'm not always going to journal this on here but today I feel like it, so I am.
I can't say that I have drunk 6-8 glasses of water yet today, but I am working on it. I decided to take my bike out and go for a ride down to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. I felt like buying chips, so I did and then I rode my bike to this duck pond that is not far from my place. I had brought along this 2 year old package of crackers to feed the ducks but they were so old that they weren't interested. They sniffed them and then swam away. I guess I can't blame them because they were hard as rocks. Oh well. Anyways there is a little gazebo at this duck pond and I just sat there eating my chips and drinking some water and listening to the cicadas in the trees. It was really peaceful and it made me feel grateful for the beauty of nature. This is something that I did today that I truly enjoyed. I am glad that I did it. Next time I think that I will bring my journal and a book and stay there longer.

On my way home I fell off my bike which was kind of funny in a way because I had a feeling that it was going to happen. I was riding on the side walk and I turned a funny way and then lost my balance and tried to recover (my bike is a tad big for me but whatever) and then fell down to the left into a shallow grassy ravine and kind of did a sideways somersault. I'm sure that the cars on the highway had a good laugh and at least a good show! I'm not hurt except for a bruise on my leg and my bike isn't hurt either - the chain came off so I had to put it back on (I'm getting good at this). Jeepers creepers - me and my bike....what will it be next?

I finally have some pictures on MY computer to put on to this blog...none of Kuma yet (my camera batteries are recharging) but they will come. These were taken on a walk in my neighborhood soon after I came here (except for the bus one of course). Enjoy!

This is what the interior of one of the buses (of one of the bus companies) looks like. Pretty cushy eh? Not at all like BC Transit but I'd this system for theirs any day! This bus is the 891 which I often take and which is always, always late.














Haha! This sign is on the gate of one of our neighbor's driveways. I like it!





A lonely old, white, horse....minding his own beeswax.


Someone's forgotten workgloves. These were in the same pasture as the lonely horse above









a bizzaro-looking house











a more modern house.....








People get mail here too, you know.....


















and they take out the garbage....












....this is the speed limit around here.....50km/h...seriously....don't even think about going one km faster....








I love this sign.....














This is where I live...for now. The glass door with the light on leads to our kitchen and the other one leads to our living room but we never open it. Andrew's car is in front. The window is from what used to be Brendon's room (Andrew's roommate). It is now the bike room / my wardrobe.

4 comments:

Laura said...

leesh good for you. i'm glad you're doing things that you enjoy and journaling. journaling is so good for you, for everyone. i have to admit that i giggled a little bit when you said you did a side ways summersault. sheesh. and thanks for the pictures! can't wait to see more.

Karey said...

i love the signs!

Claudine said...

Your house is so cute! Love all the pictures and signs!!!
So cute!!
I'm really sorry that you fell off your bike though! At least it sounds like you were graceful!!
Keep having fun ok? LOVE YOU!

Mom E said...

Maybe you shouldn't ride your bike anymore?

Yay, some pics. More please- of like the inside of your house and the area you live.