Today I was thinking about my life here in NZ and thought, why not write about it? I don't know if anyone even reads my blog anymore but at least I'll have some things written down for posterity's sake.
It is a beautiful, sunny day...though the air is chilly......Summer is long gone and Fall is upon us. After being here for 3 and a half years now the only way that I can determine when Fall hits is by the change in temperature both during the day and at night. Oh the trees do lose their leaves here....but the leaves don't change into as many beautiful colours like they do in North America. So, I use the change in temperature to determine when it is really fall. People here tend to say that New Zealand really only has 2 seasons anyway - Summer and Winter....there is definitely some truth to this.
It is windy today...very windy but I don't mind. I like the wind. I always have.....even when it is stormy and cold outside there is something clean and refreshing about how the wind blows everywhere. On days like today I try to do laundry. Yes, I seem to plan to do my laundry according to the weather. Why? So that I can hang it outside on the line. Power here is very, very, VERY expensive so we try to not use our dryer very much. Hanging it inside in the winter takes ages for it to dry (because houses are not insulated here) so.....laundry goes along with the weather. This has been an adjustment for me living in NZ. I don't think that I ever did this in Canada....I just did laundry when I had time. But things are different here.
So my life as a mom (aside from planning to do laundry according to the weather). My day usually begins around 7-8ish when I hear Bethany calling me on the baby monitior. "MOMMY....MOMMY....MOMMY" over and over again until I go and get her. By this time I am not sure how long she has been awake for but she is definitely ready to get out of her crib. We say good morning and I get her changed and dressed and we come into the living room. She usually has a little play and then we have breakfast. I tend to have cereal and my many vitamin supplements I seem to be taking lately. She has Ricies (rice krispies)......or Wheatbix (kind of like shredded wheat) or cheerios or sometimes toast...and fruit and water and we turn on some kids' music and eat together. When we are both finished I take a shower and she has a play. Our morning usually consists of things like running errands (I have midwife appointments every week now) or going to the library sometimes for this free Rhymetime music and story session and to get new books to borrow....or going to the park, or staying at home and doing some art (if the weather is crummy) or having a playdate once in awhile....things like that. Around noon I try to be home so that we can both have lunch and then I try to put her down for a nap around 1ish. When she is sleeping I try to do my cleaning (note, this does not happen every day) like doing the bathroom and vaccuming.....or just have some chill time (this happens more often these days) like a nap or so. After she wakes up I usually let her watch some Wiggles or Pingu or something while I make dinner..mostly to keep her occupied and anyway, she likes the Wiggles. It's dinner time and then bath, pajamas. story and bed.
Yes, I guess this is a play by play of our regular weekday routine. Of course things rarely go smoothly......how can they when you have a child who has her own agency? Bethany is a really great kid, but she is definitely her own person. We have our share of tears (well she does) and frustration....especially lately. I'm not perfect but I try to the best that I can with Bethany. I'm trying to teach her good values and help her learn as she grows. Being a mom can be really, really HARD at times.....I feel like I have given up a lot since becoming a mom....time for myself.....shopping for me......but it is ok. These things are only temporary. I wouldn't trade this job for the world. Speaking of the munchkin I am hearing "Mommy Mommy..."....somehow I don't think that she has napped at all this afternoon......bummer. Well, c'est la vie.
2 comments:
I was just telling Vicki the other day how you love Pingu :) I miss hanging my laundry out. It's windy here so in theroy you think that would be great but sadly with wind comes flying dirth and stuff so it's not worth it. I found out the hard way :)
leashy, post again!
Post a Comment