Monday, December 23, 2013

Rudolph, the red- nosed reindeer.....

Had a very shine - eee nose! And if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows!!

This has got to be one of Bethany's favorite songs lately. Today I introduced her to the original, 1964 version of the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie (You-Tube is my best friend). She LOVED it! I thought that maybe she would be scared of the snow monster in it, but all that she did when it came on was give me a look between thinking that it was strange and funny.

We are pretty excited for Christmas in this house. I painstakingly made an advent calendar wall-hanging thing that shows Mary and Joseph travelling to Bethlehem so that baby Jesus can be born. (You can see it here http://thecraftpatch.blogspot.com/2013/11/nativity-advent-calendar-pattern-and.html if you want). It has been good for Bethany because she moves Mary and Joseph and the donkey up each day and places the donkey's rein (I attached it to make it easier to indicate exactly which day we are on) on the date. Today she was particularly excited because there are only 2 days until Christmas!

Of course she is excited about Santa and presents, but we have really been trying to focus on the "real" reason for Christmas and teaching her about the birth of the Saviour. She loves playing with the nativity sets and often lines all of the people up saying that they are a family.

I did all of my Christmas shopping early this year, which I am proud of. It is a relief to not have to drag the kids around the mall with all of the other mad shoppers out there. I had to go to the mall for an appointment today and it was hard enough to find a parking spot at 11:30am!

We are spending Christmas morning at home and then in the afternoon we will go to Aunty Jill's house (Sharlene's mom). It will be a houseful this year because the 4 of us will be there along with Aunty Jill, Aunty Lyn (Jill's sister), Sharlene, Tane, their two dogs and Jill's sister Bev and her husband Alan. I am hoping that it won't be too chaotic - especially with two bog dogs around but we will see. I think that it will be fun!

Christmas in the summer will never feel normal to me but I am really trying to feel the Christmas spirit. Christmas here doesn't feel as magical as it does in Canada, but I find that if I focus on the Saviour...then it doesn't really matter. :)

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone! I love ya and miss ya!

P.S. Brother Sheppherd asked me to sing with him in Sacrament meeting next Sunday. Feeling a little nervous about it because Brother Sheppherd often gets the rhythm wrong (singin eighth notes instead of the dotted eightth) and I am not professional. I'll be practicing and saying lots of prayers1 Wish me luck!

No comments: