Yesterday Steven's class and my class went to the Terry Fox library in Port. Coquitlam. Tomorrow is the Terry Fox national school run and it was Steven's idea to take his class there and he asked me if I wanted to join them. So we went there yesterday afternoon and after getting library card info all sorted our the kids were allowed to look at the Terry Fox displays and then look at books. I asked each of my kids to choose at least one novel - they weren't too keen on this but I want them to begin doing some novel studies so I insisted that they choose one.
The trip itself was a little frazzling but what I got to see of the Terry Fox displays was interesting. Did you know that they have his actual artifical leg and shorts that he wore in a display case? And they even have one of his socks as well. There are also many letters and awards that people gave him. I didn't remember learning that much about Terry Fox but I'm glad that I was able to research more about him now. He truly was a hero. I have been talking about him with my class and I've been trying to impress upon them how it is what you do for others that makes you a hero and that it only takes one person to begin to make a difference. I like having these conversations with my class. It's these types of conversations that make me love being a teacher.
Next weekend is GC but it is also Thanksgiving weekend AND Oma's 92nd birthday which means that I probably won't be going to GC at all. I'm looking forward to going home though. I need some family time and to be in a place where I am always important and I don't have to compete for anyone's attention. I wish that I could just go and stay there for a whole week and just laze around and read and stuff. I need some time like this to myself. I've been feeling kind of low lately and kind of alone. Yes, I am sure that the immediate reaction to that is "well you're always so busy with teaching and doing teaching stuff..." yada, yada yada - I know all of this and yes it is true, it's like my first year of teaching and there are so many materials and things that I need to but in place and all of this takes time etc. This is something that I don't have a lot of control over. But I still feel kind of alone, even when I come home. Lately it feels like I am living by myself. Speaking of living by myself and I am starting to consider moving next year....the drive to and from school is sucking up my gas and it would be more economical to at least move to Burnaby....but then I wouldn't be close to my sis anymore.......our rent is going up in Jan anyways.......I'll just have to figure it out I guess.
Anyways, this blog is boring and I'm going to bed. Good night
No comments:
Post a Comment