Friday, May 23, 2008

Food colouring can be a disaster

So the other day I was doing the celery in food colouring and water experiment with the kids in my class. I went to the Preschool and knocked on the door, intending to ask either Jinah or Fiona for some food colouring and a yellow pencil crayon for my class to use. I actually opened the door and was welcomed with Jessica's "oh, it's her" as she glanced up from her drawing. If Jessica wasn't 3 years old and kind of spacey and in her own world at times I would take offense to this comment, but her frankness actually made me chuckle inside. Skylar was beside her and just stared at me and didn't say anything. I asked Skylar if she could please ask Miss. Fiona if I could borrow a yellow pencil crayon and some food colouring. Somehow this got translated into yellow food colouring and I felt sheepish about explaining what i really meant so I just left it.

Let me just say that yello food colouring and the celery experiment doesn't really work so well. The kids added a lot of it to the water and they still couldn't see much. I decided to take matters into my own hand and added some blue so in the end the celery was sitting in dark, dark green water. It was hard to control the amount of food colouring that was in the water because the bottles that I borrowed were large and didn't have any droppers or anything in them. So in the end I ended up with seriously stained yellow and blue hands. Today one of the kids knocked over one of these celery cups and as I was cleaning it up - I ended up with yellow hands again. I looked like I had jaundice. So yeah, note to all of you out there...use the food colouring that you buy in the baking section because it is much easier to control and much less messy!

So, I have told some of you about Ted, one of the students in my class. He is quite the joker. Yesterday I was giving him and Jin a lesson in decimals while Anthony watched and halfway through the lesson Ted starts making these weird noises...kind of like growling noises. I asked him if something was wrong and he started to ask me if I knew who "Yulee" was. I said that i did not know and then he proceeded to tell me that "Yulee" was a Korean cat and that "when he wake up he goes like this" (at this point he is making the growling noise again and is on all fours pretending to be a cat stretching and kneading his paws).

Well, that set Jin and Anthony off in peals of laughter and I also could not hold back a smile and a little chuckle. That kid is so funny! He is the comic relief in the class. The other day he told me that when he us old and has a job he will buy me a new car - like Mrs. Lee's (Mrs. Lee has a nice Ford Escape). Thanks Ted. I'll hold you to that.

No comments: