Saturday, July 25, 2009

Today I woke up to bright sunshine streaming through my window. This was a welcome surprise because it has been grey, rainy and outright stormy the past few days and nights. I haven't seen the sun in awhile. I love the sun. I love how it makes me feel so happy and cheerful. I am in better spirits when it is sunny out.My internal clock keeps telling me that it is summer time and so I guess that a part of me still thinks that the weather should be so much nicer here. I am even really wanting to eating popsicles these days - how weird is that? Apparently there is 5 more weeks of winter here (oh joy) and then the weather should be getting nicer. I hope so. Summer at Christmas time will be weird though, I'll never get used to that.

This week has been busy for me. I know, surprise, surprise! I went into my school and began to set up my classroom. My classroom was being used as the afterschool care / junk room and I have to tell you, it was so dirty and disgusting it was not even the least bit funny. Warren (the principal) and Tony (the caretaker / handyman) helped me to move things out of there that I didn't need and I unpacked the new furniture and began setting some things up. Cherileen (the vice-principal) helped me to set up the furniture in different areas. The kindy kids were coming for a morning visit on Thursday so there was some urgency in having this place set up - at least basically. Once we set it up, some of the other kindergarten /year1 teachers came and lent me some books and puzzles and toys and things which I was grateful for because I really have nothing here. So we had the basics of the room set up. The room needs a serious heavy duty though. The mat needs to be cleaned (there is a HUGE stain which was there the next day when the kids came to visit and one little girl already noticed it - this is a little girl who is going to be my challenge I can tell because she is very strong willed and mom seems to let her get away with doing anything) and the windows have cobwebs on them and mold. At least the floor was clean for Thursday but the rest of it needs a serious cleaning. I mentioned this to Warren and Cherileen and they are aware of it. Also because I don't want to be the one killing myself to clean the classroom, it isn't my job.

Anyways, the classroom is coming along and the visit went well. Odessa - the head kindergarten person said that she thought that I did a great job. She is so nice and is eager to work with me and have me on the team. She said that she is also eager to have me share my knowledge and experience with them! How cool! I am really looking forward to working at my school and kind of sad in a way that it will only be for such a short time. Oh well.

Andrew just came back from a run. He is so lean. I wish that I could be lean and could do something great like run far or so. I got to go and do some chores and then I have this Relief Society thing to got to that is sooooo long today. It is 2 and a half hours and I have no idea what it is about or anything...I kind of don't want to go but I should. Should should should......

No comments: