Well this week has been fun becaue we have only been at VSB for two days and for the rest of the days we have had field trips! Hooray for field trips!
Wednesday we went to UBC for a lecture by "Dr. Sutherland" in the Earth and Ocean Sciences building. It was interesting and a nice break from the classroom. Jesse told Taranjeet and I all about her days as a student at UBC as we went to the SUB to get something to eat for lunch. The three of us discussed how we like UBC much better than SFU - especially Taranjeet who went to SFU and was partial to it but agreed that SFU is not worth it because it costs more and the campus is not nearly as beautiful.
Yesterday and today we went to BBMH where I will be working and Lize gave us some presentations and then we had some "practice time". I didn't really do a whole lot during the practice time because I didn't have a lot of my material with me. The portable that I will be in with Jana (in the afternoons) arrived. It is big!!! There is going to be a lot of work to be done though in terms of setting things up. Anyways, getting back to school, it was neat to be able to direct people to where I work and tell them what I know about the school. It was a neat feeling!
Oh yeah, before we went to BBMH we went to a Secret Garden...for real! Part of the Montessori curriculum ( a large part) has to do with Botany and today we were going to do a little flower study so we went to this "secret gardem" in Boundary Bay in Tsawassen....it was so beautiful and peaceful there! We met there at 8:30pm and in that morning hour it was so quiet and you could see the tide way out at the beach nearby. All of us went about quietly looking at and studying the flowers...using hushed voices as we spoke. The guy who tend the garden lives nearby and he came out and told us that he had just started the garden as a means to appreciate nature and had no idea that it would grow to be so popular. He said that the garden and having so many people come to visit it and appreciate the beauty within has been his greatest acheivement in life. He said that just hearing that people enjoy being there makes all of the work in his garden worthwhile. Isn't that amazing? Wow.....how self-less....it was so peaceful there that I could have stayed all day and just drawn and studied flowers or read.....I'll have to go back some day.
Well it is the weekend and it will be a busy one. I hope that all of you "long weekenders" enjoy having the monday off because I have school. The good news though is that we have a Field Trip to Van dusen gardens so this is exciting....woooohoooo! I hope that the weather hold out because we will be studying flowers and working on a Botany journal.
1 comment:
the secret garden sounds really cool. i'd like to visit it one day.
Post a Comment