Thursday, January 08, 2009

Day Three in NZ

Today I woke up at 10am - which is better than yesterday's 12-1ish. I am trying to get back to normal hours of sleeping. It is sunny and hot here again. Yesterday I was in the house all day in my pjs. I wasn't into going outside so I stuck around here and blogged and checked emails and looked up what I need to do to apply for a work permit for here etc. So yeah, it is hot outside - 25 degrees I think and there doesn't seem to be a breeze so I am sure that I will swelter as I walk to the "chemist" (NZ lingo for pharmacy). I need to get some things like feminine hygiene products and contact lens solution and vitamins and well....I am actually not looking forward to buying things there because it is so expensive at these chemists. I know I am going to have to lather myself up in sunscreen because my poor, white, winter skin is going to be attacked by the sun (there is a hole in the ozone layer here...nice) and I am afraid of getting sunburnt and skin cancer etc. I think that I will try and find my hat and also wear it too even though it is black. So yeah, this is my adventure for today - going to the chemist / pharmacy.

What else do I have planned for today? Well, unpacking and I have GOT to clean the bathroom. It is so disgusting and if we had someone over to visit I would be embarrassed to have them use it. I don't blame Andrew for this....he lived with a filthy, disgusting person so what can you do when that person never cleans up? I'll have to scrub in there - good thing I got rubber gloves because it will be a nasty job.

So.. being a wife...well so far it is interesting. Yesterday I made us dinner which was really light because it was hot out and we ended up eating late and I didn't feel like cooking anything hot - it was grilled cheese for me (grilled cheese with egg inside - made in the george forman - for Andrew - this took some coordination because the first time I tried this concoction the egg slipped out) and some cut up veggies. I know, I know....it isn't a real meal and Laine and mom would laugh and repeat the "have you ever known Leash to cook?" sentence they so bodly said in front of Andrew and I and other family at Christmas time....but it was what it was and he ate it and liked it (because he would have told me if he didn't because he is up front that way) and I did too. I did the dishes while he talked to Sarah Jane (his sister) on Skype. Andrew is sick - at first he thought that it was his hayfever but I think that it is more of a cold. He came home from work early yesterday and slept. So yeah, since he wasn't feeling well I made dinner and stuff. I guess that this is one of my first "wife" type duties.

People at Andrew's work have been joking around with him and making comments about how now that he is married he has to be careful because his wife is going to spend all of his hard earned money and how 9 months from now there will be a child etc......funny how people feel the need to give all of this advice etc, and make these comments. I am sure that they wouldn't make as many if I were there with Andrew. I don't take offense to them because they don't even really know me. I think that eventually they will bother Andrew more than they will bother me though. Everyone at his work was really excited to see him and welcomed him back all excitedly. I knew that they would because everyone loves him there.

Yesterday Becks called me and we talked for half an hour. It was so great to hear her voice! I have missed her and am so grateful for her friendship. We are going to try and get together soon. I also received another phone call - which I wasn't too excited about it. From........MRS. HOGAN! Sharlene's mom! AHHHHHH.....Andrew answered the phone and I motioned to him that I wasn't home so he had to talk to her and he got her phone number because she wants me to call her etc. This is a huge disappointment to me because....she drives me insane. The lady has a lot of personal problems and I don't want to be friends with her and hear all about them. I mean Sharlene and I aren't even close friends anymore (though I think that she thinks that we are) and why does she want to talk to me so badly? It is kind of strange because it is not like my mom would call Sharlene up and have this big chit chat with her (she isn't that fond of her really). Poor Andrew, Mrs. Hogan was asking him about wedding pictures and did we get married in Utah (why do people assume that all members want to get married in Utah? I don't even like Utah that much) etc. etc. I know I will have to call her eventually...I'll just need to brace myself for it. I can't believe she has hunted me down though...she should be a detective.

Speaking of wedding pictures Lydia, our photographer didn't do such a great job of ours. We don't really like them at all and I feel like we wasted $400.00. She didn't even do any editing on them. They are really disappointing. Diana on the other hand did a fabulous job and both Andrew and I love them! She has been sending us a newsletter with sample pics in them and they are so beautiful that they make me want to cry. There is one of me and Andrew and mom and Dad and Laine and Eman and I want to get a copy of this for our house and also copies for mom and Dad and Laine and Eman. The first family photo in over 25 years and everyone in it is smiling and happy...this in itself is enough to make me feel at peace. I am grateful that my whole family was able to be at the ceremony. I love them all very much.

Well is 11:25 so I better get a move on. I'll write more about my adventure to the chemist afterwards.

2 comments:

Karey said...

i loved that pic of your family too. I didn't know that was your dad though. That makes it extra special. It's a great pic.
PS laura sent the pics to me :)
Love you

LeashyLoo said...

Thanks Kare..love you too and miss you LOTS....:(