Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What to make....what to make?

I have no idea what to make for dinner. I'm at a loss. There is some frozen ground beef (or "mince" as they call it here) in the freezer that I supposed I could thaw out a little and use to make a mushroom sauce to have with pasta....but....I don't know....I mean only Andrew would eat it.....we have lots of odds and ends in the house so it is hard to think about what to make for dinner. We've done the spaghetti thing, I made bean burritos last week, yesterday was rice and frozen veggies and tuna (by the way, they have FLAVOURED tuna here! Like hot chili and lemon pepper flavours...strange eh? I have yet to try them) - a poor person's meal and today? Today I am at a loss. Truly. Meanwhile, Andrew is sleeping before his meeting tonight at church. He is pretty stressed these days because it is "month end" at work. I can't remember what "month end" all entails but it usually means extra work. He has been working hard too to catch up on work that he missed when he was away in Canada so yeah....he's a tired guy these days.

This past weekend we had our Open House, which was really meant to be an informal reception. The idea was that we would be there for two hours and people could come and go as they pleased and mingle and congratulate us and watch a slide show of photos from the wedding and eat snacks and sign the guest book and leave a gift or money as they chose. Sounds pretty low-key right? Well, first of all let me say that things did turn out well. The food was good and people enjoyed themselves. Things just went a little differently then we had planned.


I was never planning on wearing my wedding dress. This was a definite in my mind. We were going to have a slide show of wedding pictures anyways so why wear my dress? Besides, this was meant to be more casual and I had already done the reception with the wedding dress. Well, as soon as we got there and began getting last minute things organized one of the catering ladies asks if I am going to wear my wedding dress......"no" was my cheerful reply. Well, this lady, as sweet as she is, would not take "no" for answer. She insisted that I wear my dress because this is what everyone was expecting yadda yadda and as soon as Jenny hear this she jumped on the band wagon and also put in her 10 cents worth and said that I should wear my dress and that Andrew and I should go home and get it. I'll admit, I felt annoyed at being cornered by these two ladies - neither of which know me all that well (might I add) and having them hound me to get my dress. I DID NOT WANT TO WEAR IT! But, I lost the battle in the end, especially when I realized that Allen (Andrew's Dad) was kind of hoping to see it...so I went and got the dress with Andrew. (I was grumbly the whole time and I said that I WAS NOT going to wear the dress for the whole time because it was too hot). Andrew got off free I think because he didn't have to wear his whole tux - just a suit and pants.

We came back and I changed into my dress and then we entered the gym and everyone congratulated us and some people took pictures with us and after half on hour I was out of the dress and into much cooler clothes and we mingled. It was great to have so many of Andrew's friends there - he has ALOT of friends and on my part, it was great to have Becks and Logan and Jen and their kids there because they are like my family here. I think that everyone had a great time. We had to clean up afterwards which took some time and then we drove Allen and Jenny back to the hotel and we got home at around midnight. It was a long day, but a good day.

2 comments:

Mom E said...

Leash, we have had flavored tuna in Canada for years too! Lemon pepper, spicy chili, peanut satay, etc. Glad you had a good day, despite losing the battle to wear your dress-was it wrinkled from being stuffed into 1 of 5 jam packed suitcases?

Laura said...

yeah we definitely have those flavours of tuna in every grocery store you could imagine! first time i had them was when i went on the sister's bike hike when we all lived in the house...so....

hey what about stir fry?