Monday, June 29, 2009

Andrew's Birthday and other stuff

So this past Saturday was Andrew's birthday and he turned the big 30! I wanted to make his birthday special because he doesn't celebrate his birthdays really and his family doesn't really make a big deal out of them and anyways, 30 is a milestone. The day was busy but it was good.

We went to a funeral in the morning for Becks' nephew who suddenly died this past week due to heart failure. He was only 11 and had life-threatening asthma which was always worse in the winter (because the houses here are not heated) and he basically had a heart attack. The funeral was beautiful there and so many people came. The chapel and cultural hall were all full.

When we got back, Andrew went to get groceries while I started on the food. We were just having people over for desserts and games but I had a Nanaimo Bar that I needed to finish and I needed to make Andrew's cake and ice it and clean the bathroom. I was pretty busy. Anyways, by 7pm we were ready and only three of the five that we expected came - our friends Alan and Naomi and there baby Xavier and our friend Susan. We chatted for a bit and ate and then played Skip Bo because I got it for Andrew as part of his birthday present and he wanted to give it a go. There was lots of laughs and good times. I had fun and so did Andrew. I'm glad that I could make his birthday seem special because he IS special and I love him. For his birthday I got him the card game and also a book. He likes an author named Clive Cussler and so I got him this new novel of his that I had seen that is based in BC and Alaska. He's reading it as I write.

In other news, I went for a job interview at a Hare Krishna school last week. It was interesting. The principal's name is Prana but I think that it is really Paul because I saw some degrees in his office and the first name on there said Paul. Anyways, he was really nice and soft spoken and was interested in my because I was the only non-Indian person who had applied! (He's white). He also was interested in a lot of the professional development that I have done because he does similiar things at his school. The interview went well and he seemed to like me. He said that he will let me know this week. The position is part-time only until the end of the year. Working at his school wouldn't be my first choice but it would be different alright. It would definitely take me out of my comfort zone though and be a learning curve. I wouldn't be responsible for teaching any Hare Krishna stuff but I would be expected to teach regular subjects.

I also went for a interview at a regular Primary school today in a place called Whenuapai. I was keen to go to this school because I heard that it was a good school and from the website it seems like a real, community based organized place where there is a lot of good happening. I wasn't disappointed when I met the principal today. He was really friendly and motivated and showed me around some of the classes and told me about some of the things that go on there. He said that there is a waitlist for the school - not because the area is growing but because children really want to go there! It sounds like they have lots of good programs there. He called me back later today and asked me to come in for a second interview on Wednesday with his Deputy Principal and Team leader! This looks promising! The position would be in a New Entrant class (Kindergarten basically) until the end of the year. So we'll see what happens! This would be ideal! We'll see what happens. Even if I don't get the positions, at least I will have two places where I can relief teach!

2 comments:

Laura said...

nanaimo bars!!! good job on the birthday leesh. that's so sad about becks' nephew. tell her hi from me and i'm sorry for her loss.

i hope you get the kindergarten one! i'm so crossing my fingers about it. :) i think you will.

LeashyLoo said...

Thanks Laursie! I am crossing my fingers too!