Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feb 24th "yur-eyen"

In case some of you are wondering there is no baby yet. Just thought I would let you know. Karey thinks that Baby Johncey will be born Feb 25th and that it will be a boy. She is the first person, other than myself, who thinks that it will be a boy. Everyone else who has chosen to guess on what we are having thinks that it is a girl. Even the teller at Pak N Save (an Asian lady) told me that she thinks that it is a girl because "girls are bigger in the front and more busy". Anyways, hopefully this little one will come soon. I went to see my midwife yesterday and she said that I could be as late as two weeks before they will induce me unless there are other extenuating circumstances. I hope that I am not one of those people. Andrew keeps telling me to go for walks and go to our friend's pool to try and get the baby going. We'll see about the swimming and the walking will have to be in the evening when it is cooler. It is not like I sit around all day anyways...I'm always on my feet doing something so yeah. This kid will come when he/she feels like it and that's that.

Oh yeah, getting back to my midwife...she sent me for some blood tests and and a urine sample because my blood pressure was a little low and there was protein in my urine and up until then my blood pressure was pretty normal and there was no protein in the urine. I think that she wants to make sure that I don't have pre-eclampsia or whatever it is called when your body swells. I mean my ankles have been swollen for months so that is no surprise but I'm glad that she errs on the side of caution. So anyways I went right after my midwife appt and got my blood taken and urine sample done. I don't know if I have mentioned this before but people here really have funny ways of pronouncing english words...and I am not talking about ESL people. I'm talking about people on the news and commercials and professionals - people who have probably lived here their whole lives. Andrew and I always talk about how some people's English here is so bad (the non-ESL people I mean) and how they always put their own interpretations on how to pronounce things. I find it so annoying. For example, there is a big push for teenage girls here to get tested for cervical cancer here and there is a commercial on tv about it. But they pronounce cervical with both a long i and short i sound. So it sounds like they are saying "ser-vy-ih-cal". Hello? There is only one i in the word and it is a short i sound! If they looked in a dictionary they would see that! And, when I went to get my bloods taken the lady asked me if I had taken a urine (pronouncing it "yer-eyen" with a long i sound) sample before. I paused for a moment because I had no idea at first what she was trying to ask me. Crazy! Andrew and I had a good laugh about it later at home and I know that if I was at home in Canada with my pals like Laura and Karey they too would find it funny.

Anyways I have applesauce that I need to use up so I'm going to go and try to make some muffins. Later all. Later.

No comments: