Friday, February 26, 2010

Olympic Fever...even here in NZ

I have to admit that Olympic Fever generally isn't very high here in NZ. I am surprised in a way because I kind of assumed that all countries would be interested in the Olympics. I mean I know that I have an extra interest - being Canadian and all and having the Olympics on our home soil - but I thought that more people here would be interested as well. New Zealand has sent a few athletes to the Olympics but apparantly they haven't been doing very well. They keep mentioning on the news here how disappointed they are in the NZ athletes...but come on? New Zealand is a small country with a small population and the atheletes don't get nearly as much sponsorship as bigger countries like China even or Finland or Australia! What does the government here expect? I think that they should be happy that the NZ athletes there are giving it their best instead of being so negative about them. That's my opinion anyways.

Andrew and I have been watching the Olympics when we can (well, what they choose to show on the fuzzy sports channel that we get - thank goodness for rabbit ears...sort of) and watching the live feeds on the Olympic websites for the hockey games that they haven't been showing on the t.v here. We both root for Canada and Australia! We are probably the only ones amongst our friends that have Olympic fever but we don't care....we love the Olympics! I watched the game between Canada and Russia yesterday and it was exciting! And then today's Olympic gold by the Canadian Women's hockey...we rock! It makes me proud to be a Canadian even though I am far from my home. I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia as I look at the people in the stands cheering for Canada and the pictures of Vancouver and area that they sometimes show. I love my country dearly and am grateful to have been born and raised there.

I have been blogging, it seems, in a daily basis. Partly to keep you all updated on the baby status (feb 26th and no baby yet) and partly because it helps me to feel connected with all of you. Also, it is so quiet here at home by myself. I know, I know, I should probably enjoy the quiet and time to myself (everyone keeps telling me this) but I guess that the anticipation is also very great. And, being at home with no one to talk to gets dreary as well. I am a social person and there is only so much talking one can do to a cat. Anyways....I better go and do sometime productive like finish knitting the baby bootie I've been working on for awhile. Later all. I sure miss ya. I do.

BTW...it is Feb 26th here and still no baby. Maybe I don't need to give these updates but I feel that it is helpful because I know that many of you are excited for me/us and are wondering.

4 comments:

{larissa} said...

I'm with you on Olympic fever! I don't care what event it is-if I'm home we're watching the Olympics bar none. We definitley have that in common. well I'm waiting in suspense for the good news... call us if we can help in any way

Laura said...

it's been very nice getting elicia updates. olympic fever rocks! cheering for canada connects you to all of us.

Karey said...

I love the daily updates. I need my Leashy fill :)

Sarah-Lynn said...

Whatever you do DON'T take castor oil. Kyle made me do it. It made me sick, it tasted gross and it didn't start my labour up. I feel like you're having a boy. That's just what I picture. I red curly haired boy. Can't wait to find out the good news!!!