Monday, July 30, 2007

Family

This weekend has been one filled with family. On friday night mom and Oma and Eman came over to Vancouver and I picked up mom and Eman from Casper's place later on in the evening. They came over especially because Oma had a celebration to go to for the people who helped to start Hospice in various communities (She helped to start it in Nanaimo) and since Oma doesn't travel on her own anymore mom came with her. And, Dad is in town so we (Laine and I and mom) thought that this would be an opportune time for Eman to come over and see Dad as well.

So, on Saturday morning I drove mom over to Casper's house and Eman and I went over to Laine's house to have a visit. It was the first time that I had seen my Dad in 15 years. He looks older of course and has grey hair at the sides and a lot less hair than I lat saw him. He has a mustouche too which I noticed that he tends to fiddle with sometimes. Anyways, I gave him a hug and so did Eman and the visit went alright. Eman showed him some drawings that he had done and they had a bit of a conversation and then Dad was talking to me a bit too about work and what Montessori was etc. and then he was telling me and Laine about some of his experiences teaching in the sticks etc. I think that Eman got a little bored with this conversation because he went to the livingroom and just sat in the chair. After about an hour and a half I had to come home because mom had bought me a coffee table (for $10 from the neigbours!) and I needed to go and pick it up. Eman wanted to come with me and so he did. I did homework at home and Eman rested and watched movies.

So the visit wasn't bad - it wasn't as awkward as I thought that it would be. It is just hard because Dad doesn't know us and we don't know him and I guess that he is trying to get to know us again but it is just...kind of awkward. I feel bad for Eman because Dad totally does not know how to be around him - I mean he (Dad) was friendly and joked around with Eman, but he doesn't know him and he doesn't get him. Eman was pretty low-key around Dad too - perhaps for the same reasons.

Saturday night Eman and I met mom at Cas' place for a little get together. My cousin Casper and his girlfriend Nooitje from Holland were there and so was Kyle and Danielle and Ben and Oma and Veronica and two other friends of the family and Laine and Scott. It was fun but I was so tired and drained so I wasn't that energetic.

On Sunday Eman watched Dreamer (instead of the "shows about killers and murderers" that he told me he wanted to watch - i.e. channel 24) and some of Ice Age while mom and Laine went to Old Navy. He was pretty comfy laying down on the couch with a blanket on top! Later on Laine came to pick Eman up and then she drove mom and Eman to Cas' place because he was going to take them to the ferry with Oma.

Anyways, this is the downlow on my weekend. It was busy but it was also so, so great to see a lot of my family! I miss seeing Eman and mom and Oma regularly. I guess that I am close here in Vancouver, but it is so hard for me to make it over to the island. I miss it there a lot. But anyways, I am grateful for my family. I love them.

No comments: