Wednesday, October 31, 2007

So, I don't know man - I don't know if teaching intermediates is "right" for me. I mean I'm fully trained to teach them and all but my experiences have been more with Primary kids and kindies and man - there is a lot of drama in my class! Today one of my year fives had a melt down - like seriously full on crying and "seething" with anger - over something that he felt was unfair and didn't really understand anyways and then another kept interrupting me and finally lost it with him and asked him to leave our class meeting.....drama, drama drama! What gives?

I told the kids today that I didn't like going to the gym with them. This shocked them and one even gasped and his eyes went wide. I told them that I liked all of them of course and I am glad that they are my students but I didn't like taking them to the gym because whenever we go there all of the problems seem to happen (which is true) which doesn't make being the gym fun. I.e. Someone always ends up getting hurt and crying, people don't follow the rules of games and others get upset about it, people complain that teams are unfair, someone always gets mad and then yells at someone else in the face and then that person gets upset, people aren't honest about when they get tagged out, people argue over rules etc. people don;t listen to instructions or follow them and we end up wasting so much time that before we know it gym time is over and people are upset that we didn't have enough time.

This is all true and frankly, gym time is the worst time of the week for me for these reasons. I talked to Anita about it and she suggested that I tell the kids how I feel so I did. I asked them each think of ways that we can make gym time work better for all of us so that we can all have fun so hopefully they will do that. I hope so because if things don't change my sanity is going to be at stake. Seriously. A lot these kids act like babies - i know, it sounds harsh but come one. I feel like telling them to grow up at times. It just gets ridiculous.

No comments: