Tuesday, October 24, 2006
a bunch of things
well today was United Nations day at our school and it actually was a really great experience. I dressed up as a Dutch girl and for a "put together" costume it turned out well. I wore the clog slippers that Karey gave me and I made a hat out of a paper bag (thanks Laura for fixing the folding for me! :) and then I wore my long grey "granny skirt" with a apron of Laura's over it and a black t-shirt with some material pinned to it at the chest and my zaoos kinope ring and necklace. My co-workers were quite fascinated with the hat and they kept commenting how I reminded them of a milk-made or shepherdess - especially when I was outside wandering around with my arms folded trying to keeping on eye on the kindergartens on the playground!Anyways we started the day by singing a song about how we are all part of the same planet even though we come from different countries and don't look alike. Then we went around and told about our costumes and where they came from. Next we went into the intermediate room and watched a 10 min video that UNICEF sent us. This year funds are being raised for the country of Malawi-so that families can be fed and kids can go to school and so that the schools can have books and materials etc. The kids were really into the video. Afterwards we went back to the Primary class and talked a bit about Malawi and started to make some flags of Malawi (it is a cool flag actually - I recommend checkin it out). Then I took the Kindies into the Pre-school room where we and the the Pre-schoolers sang a song about continents for their parents. After this we had lunch. Every child was asked to bring a dish from a another country to share with the class so there were tons of different dishes! Parents were in their helping as well. It was loud but the kids had fun. I had fun too. When the Preschoolers and the parents had left the kindies went outside with me to play in the play ground. After this I took them to Pre-school again and Jana read them a story and they had some quiet time and then they finished their flags and it was time to go home. They were exhausted! They had fun though and I had fun too. And this was my first experience with United Nations day.Right now Izzy is sleeping on my lap. I think that she is glad to be free of being in my room. She is glad that ARchie is back too, I can tell because she is less frantic and she isn't meowing as crazily as she has been. This friday she goes for surgery with the other vet - not our usual Dr. Bronwen.I talked to mom today and there has been some sadness in our family. My mom's cousin was in an Industrial accident and died suddenly. Mom was quite sad and shaken up about it on the phone. It was a freak thing that happened....one minute he was alive and the next he was gone. It makes me realize even more how short life can be....things/circumstances can change in an instant. I've heard people say that we should make each moment count and as I get older I try to remember to really do this. You just don't know when things will change. My Oma had a fall last night and was in the hospital. Apparently she is ok but her arm is sore. I hope that everything is alright. Also, my mom's cousin Jack in Australia is not doing well either. He has cancer i believe and things are not looking good. Man that cancer, it is such a horrible disease. If I could wish for anything it would be to find a cure.....Laine says that she wants to volunteer at the cancer clinic...well I want to see what I can do too.....I definitely want to go the Run for the Cure again this year (hopefully I can get more people on my team this year and be more organized...maybe also I can do a 7am -7pm one too) but I also want to see what else I can do.So lately I've been thinking about how to incorporate some sort of exercise routine into my life. I wish that I liked running because then i could go with Heather and Laura (even though they would be way ahead of me). It is so hard to get it all together. Sigh.....
No comments:
Post a Comment